Saturday, March 10

Chica's Kitchen

The above is a reference to the 1991 album 'Martika's Kitchen'.

(Martika was once a muse of Prince and a former child actor, starring in the motivational film “Be Somebody or Be Somebody’s Fool”, by everybody's hero, Mr. T.)

And close Wikipedia...

But I digress.

Today I want to write an appreciation post to my friend, Chica - who is just fabulous and I feel all glowy knowing I have her in my life, albeit virtually.

I love her for posts like this and this - but today I love her even more for her email entitled 'Winehouse' which read:

Dunno if you'll get this message on time but the Winehouse is on BBC now, with the funky backing singers!

How cool is it to have someone looking out for you like that? It's priceless.

Sadly, I did miss the Winehouse, being the lazy toad that I am, rising from my coffin too late to flick through the glorious Saturday morning line-up.

But that's not the point.

I would also like to take the time to add my two penneth (made-up word alert?) to the Size Zero debate and say I was pleasantly surprised by The Truth About Size Zero on Wednesday night.

Chica's post states the case much better than I ever can, but I wanted to say, as a lady with real lady lumps who is nowhere even near a UK Size 10, let alone a UK 4 - it was disturbing to say the least.

At a size 16 (at least) should I be burned at the stake?

I am a sensible woman and I do realise that I am nowhere near the ideal - and I could stand to lose a few stone - but I feel beautiful almost always, until I stop to compare myself to one of these skinny chicks or when I step into a clothes shop and it is made quite clear to me that I am a freak.

The programme had me weeping when it introduced us to the teen anorexics living in a home for kids with eating disorders and they started to talk about how it made them feel.

One 12 year old - two years younger than Philippa, just two years older than Frank - spoke about how she had to think about drinking a glass of water in case it made her fat!

I tell you, it did make me think I will do everything in my power to make sure both girls feel gorgeous and lovely at all times - though I'm sure it's not as simple as all that.

Anyway - here's a picture of Lovely Louise Redknapp (I respect her now) before (at size 8) and after (size 4):

Gruesome, isn't it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is gorgeous in the first pic and disgusting in the next!

And you, you are always gorgeous. As for size, I am a 16 as well, though an American so I don't know how that is different... but either way we ought not be burned for it. Though sometimes, admittedly, I do feel like others might think that.

Especially with all the time I spend on a college campus, I do sometimes feel guilty about eating because I wonder if all the thin eighteen year olds are in the dining hall thinking, "Oh, SHE shouldn't be eating THAT. SHE shouldn't be eating ANYTHING." Yes, I know this means I have issues.

And Chica, she rocks. Her blog is always funny and cool. I love my Brits.

Rebecca said...

I always cry about anorexic children as well. It's very saddening. :(

Monogram Queen said...

She honestly looks MUCH better as a size 8. I feel ya sistah.

Chica said...

Thank you so much! It was no trouble at all, though.

I must report a disturbing sight. Asda (Asda!) are stocking size 4 in their '21' clothing range. I thought I had wandered into the kids section! I've never actually seen size 4 clothes before... WRONG!

Always good to get your two penneth my love! x x x

wondy woman said...

Oh god - I must now boycott Asda!

But then I guess if you are actually a size 4 then you have to buy clothes somewhere... Dimella!

The question is: if a fairy came down tonight and said she could make us effortlessly a size four for the rest of our lives, no catches - would we do it?

Answers on a postcard...