Saturday, May 21

Film Meme - courtesy of: http://darnedtoheck.blogspot.com/ (Random Acts).

Total number of films I own on DVD/video:
I now own about 300-350. Yes, I know this is excessive and I was the first person to say I didn't want to change over to DVD when it started coming out but f**k it, I got obsessed and now between us Rocker and I have about 700. And, no, we can never ever agree on what to watch. I like sh*t house, foreign cr*p (his words) and he like his godawful boring war movies (my words) - and don't even get him started on the crappy dance movies, even the sight of Kevin Bacon giving it his all in the abandoned barn in Footloose won't coax him out...

The last film I bought: Up until yesterday I had been good and hadn't bought anything but yesterday I got Sideways and Garden State. I just ordered The Emerald Forest off the internet too, by John Boorman. It's brilliant, it was based on a small article John Boorman saw in a newspaper about a father who had lost his son to a tribe of wild people in the rain forest. It's gripping.

The last film I watched:On TV:
The Quest with Jean Claude 'Muscles from Brussels' Van Damme(you suck). I actually LOVED this movie. Richard Wright from Sex and the City was in it too, and he seems to be in every movie ever made almost but I had never noticed him before he broke Samantha's heart. ("Dirty Martini? Dirty Bastard!").

It was about an ultimate fighting championship type thingy and Jean Claude was there to seek vengeance for something, I forget now what. Actually, I have a soft spot for Jean Claude. Not in a fancying him way but he looks a gent, maybe a bit sensitive and he'd carry your shopping bags I think. My mother LOVES Jean Claude Van Damme movies, they were a staple for a while in our household... Could that count as very mild child abuse?

In the theater:
Kingdom of Heaven. It was boring and I don't like Orlando. At all.

Five films that I watch a lot or that mean a lot to me:
The Star Wars Trilogy means the world to me. Predictable I know but growing up, many a rainy afternoon was spent huddled up on the settee watching them over and over again, sometimes finishing it then rewinding it straight away and starting all over again. I just have to hear the theme and I go weak at the knees, I just heard it a few minutes ago on the tv where they were showing the London premiere of the movie and I got goosebumps.

Clash of the Titans - again this gets on the list for nostalgic reasons but also because I am a great fan of those Ray Harryhausen movies. I love the terrible special effects (wonderful by 1981 standards), I love the greek mythology, I love Pegasus and I love the Titan. This never fails to drag me away from my every day life.

Dirty Dancing - "Nobody puts baby in a corner!" - what can I say? I love this movie with all my heart. Who doesn't?

("Come on, ladies. God wouldn't have given you maracas if He didn't want you to shake 'em. ",
"I carried a watermelon.", etc, etc). I rest my case.

Zatoichi - God, words cannot describe how I feel about this movie. It makes my heart soar. It's is beautiful, funny, heartbreaking, exciting, romantic - possibly, very possibly, my favourite film of all time... Please please see it, it's wonderful.

The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover - perfect in every way. A fine cast, wonderfully shot, costumes by Jean Paul Gaultier, it's sinister, sexy, triumphant, sick, it's perfect. I love watching this film - it reminds me of the late night arty flicks I used to stumble across late at night in my room as a teenager. It's films like this that inspired my love of film. Film is my first love.

Right - now I have to tag 5 people - so I choose:

Shocking Fish
June
The Prettiest Star
Jesus Antonio
Rainy Pete
Schotzy

Oh that's six - never mind, so sue me!

Can't wait to read them!

2 comments:

wondy woman said...

I know! She was so cool wasn't she! And how we loved to hate her horrible sister who gets back into our good books when she brushes Baby's hair and then says: "You look better your way". Ah.

An don't even get me started about the final scene though when they do the dance and Baby's mother is all: "She gets this from me" and Baby's dad is all "You look wonderful out there" - and it's just wonderful - I want to stick it on now!

Viva la Dirty Dancing and give ol' Swizzle Stick Swayze a come back please!

Schotzy said...

the films that are your favs are also some of mine (sister) I do think i have you beat with obsession i have about 1000 and still growing. come visit my favs..S